Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Where did 2013 go?!

This time last year I called Uganda home… I was almost use to the red dirt, the multitudes of children, the open air market, the bodas that took me wherever I needed to go, and so much more.
That was January 2013.


January 2014- I'm sitting in my house, where my HUSBAND and I both live. I worked yesterday at Cook Children's ER and tomorrow I will go to work at JPS where I am a labor and delivery nurse. Our church, the Paradox is in full support of international missions, and even more exciting is that Justin and I will hopefully lead a group to Uganda and South Africa this summer. Wow what a year can bring.

Our wedding day :)

I know I have been absent on this blog since my return from Uganda. I got lost in culture shock, wedding planning, being a wife, and getting a new job. I got lost in finding God again in Texas, where sometimes it seems He wasn't so easy to find here as in Uganda. I got lost in thoughts about all the children I miss so dearly at Good Shepherd's Fold. I got lost is tears as I think about my Sunday school class in Uganda singing "Bless My Soul", every time the band plays it here on sunday mornings. I got lost in trying to serve and have compassion here equal to the compassion that somehow filled my heart in Uganda. I got lost in battling my desires to live out the american dream verses living how I know God has called his children to live.
It's easy to get lost sometimes…

God has never left my side however. God is settling my heart to live here while still keeping my heart full of thoughts about the other ends of the earth. God is growing Justin and I together, strengthening our understanding of what it means to be married, living sacrificially for each other every day. God is pointing out our sins so we are able to see where He provides so much grace and mercy.

So where are we now and whats next you ask:
Now
-Justin and I got married in August 2013 (we were dating before I left for Uganda and he proposed to me when he came to visit)
-I currently work full-time at JPS and occasionally in Cook's ER. Both jobs will hopefully prepare me to physically serve those in need overseas better.
-Justin will hopefully graduate from seminary this May (woo hoo!!)
-Justin is about to be named a deacon of international missions at our church (The Paradox: http://theparadoxchurch.com)

Next
-We strongly feel called to longterm missions overseas. We are currently praying about and looking into a few missions organizations to partner with/go through. Once we start the application it will be about  1 1/2 to 2 years before we are on the field.
-Children… we are very passionate about adoption, because God first adopted us as His children. However, we have not been married long enough to be qualified to adopt. So maybe adoption first after 1 year of marriage or maybe try having a kiddo first… still not sure where God is leading us.

Thank you so much for reading and for all your love and support! Much more will be coming about what its like to lead short-term trips, school, work, and everything else that comes our way!


No comments:

Post a Comment