Sunday, December 2, 2012

Everlasting Joy

In this post I want to share about a few specific people here at GSF and talk about an amazing thing God has been reminding me of!

Nurse Ruth is the Ugandan nurse on staff at GSF. She has worked there about 5 months, and started when another AIM missionary was there. She is 23 years old and from Kampala. She has an amazing memory about all the children and their medical/social history! It is very impressive! Sometimes we do have different opinions about when to give medicines, and which kinds, but overall it is such a blessing that she is here! On our down times we talk about culture, our walk with God, about our boyfriends, and laugh at the cute kids :) It blows my mind when I realize she is just a year younger than me and how different our lives look... She lives in staff housing at the orphanage without electricity, washed her clothes by hand, cooks in a pot outside, and does not own any form of transportation. However, she is always so put together! Ugandans really like to look "smart", or well dressed, with whatever is their very best clothing. I'm learning from her to be a harder worker in life... how often do I complain about doing laundry when I have a washer and dryer?! How often do I take for granted my microwave, stove, and fast food?! So thankful to have a friend who I can work alongside with at GSF!

Nurse Ruth and little Teddy from the babies house


Now time for you to meet two of our special kids! Moses is a teenage boy with special needs. I have never met someone with a better smile! He was seems so happy and loves to interact with you! Every time I come by he likes to pat right next to where he is sitting and say "here! here!" He loves for you to sit by him and he loves to look in my nurse purse haha I gave him a pen and paper one day and he went to town! He likes to play with Matthew, another little boy with special needs. He definitely brightens up my day whenever I see him! 

Moses

Lily is a teenage girl who lives in house 3. She also has a wonderful smile! She loves to ask how you are and likes to hold your hand. You can always find her just hanging out with the younger girls, playing, painting nails, or swinging. I love the hugs she gives whenever I see her! It really makes me feel loved :)
Lily



So, as I have said before, I am learning to enjoy each moment, and whatever it brings even though it might not be what was planned. I realize that that is not coming from myself, but from Jesus. To make me even realize it more, during our Wednesday night devotionals, we listened to another part of a John Piper series that spoke on the pleasure of God. He talked about the fact that only the only true, everlasting joy can come from Christ. That God wants us to be so joyful in him, that he gives us HIS joy! We cannot do it on our own, and obviously God knows that. God desires for us to be truly happy, truly joyful, so he guarantees it by giving us his own joy!

John 15:11 
These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

John 17:13
But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

Romans 15:13
Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit

Matthew 25:23
His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.
(you can read the whole parable to get the full understanding)

How thankful I am that my joy can not only be in Christ, but my joy is Christ's! My joy is not dependent on my circumstances, my health, my money, my life... my joy is dependent on Christ, and He never changes.





3 comments:

  1. So encouraging to hear how Christ has been transforming you to be more like Him while at GSF! Can't wait to be serving there with you! Only 1 1/2 more months :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie! What a wonderful post...good reminders for all of us! Have a JOYFUL day! Rachael (Dayna's mom)

    ReplyDelete